Alessandra Rich is the quintessential contemporary designer. Born in Italy, based in London and Milan, and showing in Paris, her designs bring joy and flair to womenswear. She is also noted for the meticulousness of her sourcing and her construction quality. LUX Editor-at-Large Gauhar Kapparova speaks to the designer.
1. Describe us the woman you design for. Who is the Alessandra Rich woman?
She is an independent woman, self-confident, clever and ironic. She loves to have fun with fashion and to be the woman that everyone looks at.
2. What are the challenges of a small independent fashion designer today?
My challenge is to be contemporary, I avoid being nostalgic or too “classic”, I want my brand to be unexpected. It’s difficult to compete against what everybody thinks fashion is, the size of the brand doesn’t matter.
Follow LUX on Instagram: the.official.lux.magazine
3. Has the increased desire for ready-to-wear collections changed your designs?
All my collections are ready-to-wear, I want women to have fun wearing my pieces, during the day and at night.
4. Your designs are chic, clever and quirky. How do you give it that timeless elegance?
My design comes from a personal research and from my interest in the contemporary. I consider fashion a language, so I just put together the right words.
Read more like this: 6 questions with LA’s hottest accessory designer Tyler Ellis
5. Do you design through your emotions or follow a formula?
It’s a mixture of emotions and rules, because every idea has to fit into a shape. It’s why in my last collection you can find formal jackets worn with hot pants or floral pleated dresses and sheer laces. It’s always a matter of balance.
6. What’s ahead for your brand? Do you have plans or are you living in the moment?
I have a vision that my business will grow, with a larger team and a larger view. I’m interested in creating a kind of factory, a place to be.